June 28, 2009
with Bart and Erik
Look - it's Hawk Lady yet once again! I sent this picture to Dave who had seen her at a game earlier in the week. He wrote back, "You saw her too? What the f-- are we stalking her or is she stalking us?"
There goes Hawk Lady up the stairs!
We also saw weirdo Comic Book Girl right after I snapped the Hawk Lady picture. Gross.
The Mets were truly a disaster by this point. The Yankees finished up the sweep. Mariano Rivera notched his 500th career save. He even got his first career RBI when Francisco Rodriguez walked him with the bases loaded in the 9th.
Other than David Wright and I guess Gary Sheffield, I'm not sure that too many other teams would start any of the Mets starting lineup on this night.
Granted, shortly after this game, Castillo got really hot.
The Mets were so bad that even Chien-Ming Wang got his first win of the year and lowered his ERA to 10.06 to go with his 1-6 record.
It was so ugly that there was an obnoxious fan in our section with the words "Mets suck" carved into his haircut. He barely watched the game because he was taunting Mets fans all night. And nobody even did anything to the guy.
Other things of note:
1. My obsession with the tacos at the ballpark was in full effect.
2. Bart wouldn't stop talking about how great Ugly Betty is. Bart: "Each episode is a work of art. Vanessa Williams is awesome. The swipes are amazing. Great writing." This is from a man who doesn't watch The Office.
3. I spent the whole night bashing Derek Jeter to Bart. Last time - it was Pujols. This time - the captain. What? He's supposed to be so great just because he's the captain but doesn't wear a C on his jersey. I tried to remember Dave's argument about why that play against Oakland in the '01 playoffs is overrated but I couldn't quite remember. Dave - care to chime in?
4. Bart mentioned that a friend of his knew a doorman at a Manhattan hotel who told him that Jeter often had 2 prostitutes at a time sent to his room for 2000 bucks each. "Brilliant!" Bart decreed. "Quiet and discreet!" During this conversation, I was shocked to discover that neither Bart or Erik had ever heard of Margo Adams.
5. Worst scoreboard line of the season: "Let's rock this Citi!"
6. We discussed for at least an inning whether or not Rickey Henderson is the greatest player of all time. Probably not but perhaps the top 5? Maybe not - but almost definitely top 10.
7. I dropped them off after the game and made it home just in time to feed Double Trouble. Perfect timing. Terrible game.
Bart wore this shirt in tribute to Timothy Carey and my first viewing of The World's Greatest Sinner.
5 hours ago